Wednesday 13 February 2013

An interview with......

Morning everyone! Welcome to a drab Wednesday morning here in Doncaster! 

Today, I wanted to share my very first 'An interview with.....' post.  I've had this idea in my head to try to introduce you to some great crafters I've met on my travels with Docrafts. 

The very first victim interviewee is a new demonstrator with Docrafts. I met this person very briefly in passing a while ago down at Head Office, and let me tell you she has the most beautiful daughter! Her hair is amazing. And with such a wonderful mum as a role model she won't go far wrong!

So.. onto my post, and the very first interview... so here you go. I hope you enjoy my post today. Please leave your feedback, and of course, if you want to feature on my new Wednesday Wonders, just let me know by emailing joaustin22@aol.com and tell me a little bit about you. 

----------------------------------------------------

An interview with .....  Katie Skilton... 

From a young age I loved to create things.  I still have memories of keeping all the foil from my Easter Eggs to make something special!  At secondary school I hated art, I couldn't draw and so avoided anything arty!  When it came to taking my options I chose RE over art, although this had more to do with the young, welsh, rugby playing teacher as anything else!


After I had my first daughter I found I needed something to keep me busy.  It started with me turning a photograph album into a scrapbook, although at that time I had no idea what scrapbooking was!  This came later when I purchased my first crafting magazine.  I started to make some Easter cards and from there I was hooked!



I started making cards to order and before I knew it I was so busy with orders.  Then in 2007 my life took and unexpected turn and my marriage ended, along with that I stopped crafting!  Whatever it was that gave my brain the power to create stopped and for about 3 years I didn't have any interest to create.  I sold lots of my crafting things and the rest went into the loft!

In 2010 I moved to South Devon.  My life was again settled and I felt the need to get all my crafting goodies back out.  Of course I needed lots of new items and over time I built these items up!

Over time I started to realise that I wanted to take my crafting to another level.  In 2011 I had my little boy.  I only took a few weeks maternity leave and was back to my job travelling around the country as a Sales & Marketing manager.  I missed my family and decided that my lifestyle had to change for the sake of my husband, 3 children and myself.  I gave up my job and had a view to pushing my craft to another level.

I applied to many design teams and started getting accepted.  Early last year I set up my blog and from there BOOM, my new career took off!  

In August 2012 I was accepted onto Docrafts Creativity Club Design Team where I have met the most wonderful and inspiring people.  A craft studio was set up in my house and I started working all hours to get my business off the ground.



Today I have my own website www.katieskiltondesign.com where I share all my crafting inspiration.  I do lots of freelance work for various crafting publications, I am a Docrafts Demonstrator and I can also be seen on Create & Craft from time to time.  I have lots of plans in the making this year and feel confident it is going to be a really exciting year. 


I have met so many amazing people along this crafting journey and feel so lucky to be doing a job I love.  I have lots of plans for this year and look forward to meeting lots more inspirational people.

I would just like to thank Jo for allowing me to write this piece on her blog.  I am truly amazed to be working alongside people like Jo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips